While our gatherings will likely be smaller during the pandemic, you may have close family visiting, and the best way to make them feel welcome is to be prepared.
Make Space in the Entryway
Your home’s foyer is the first place guests see, so make a good first impression.
- Place a small rug or welcome mat at the entrance to protect floors from water, mud or snow.
- Clear out shoes, umbrellas, and other clutter.
- Add extra hooks to walls so guests can hang coats and hats.
- Add a storage bench where guests can remove boots and shoes.
Make Bathroom Supplies Available
Bring toilet paper, towels, and toiletries out of hiding, and place them on open shelves so guests can find them easily.
If you don’t have enough wall space for shelves, place these items in open baskets around the bathroom.
Also, outfit each tub with a bath mat (to avoid falls) and each toilet with a plunger (to avoid embarrassment).
Add Coffee Station and Extra Seating
Your kitchen is a main gathering area during the holidays, so make sure it’s clean and ready for guests and extra helpers.
- Move your coffee station into a family room so guests don’t crowd the kitchen when you’re trying to fix meals.
- If you like to visit while you’re cooking, place extra stools and chairs around the kitchen so guests can be present.
Create Extra Sleeping Space
If you’ve got a guest room, replace the ceiling fixture with a ceiling fan and light combo, which helps guests customize their room temperature without fiddling with the thermostat for the entire house.
To carve sleeping space out of public areas, buy a folding screen or rolling bookcase, which can be placed to provide privacy for sleepers. Fold or roll it away in the morning.
Add Night Lights
Even though you can navigate your home blindfolded, your guests can’t. Make sure outside lights are working so they don’t trip on the way to your door. Put motion-activated night lights in hallways, bathrooms, and bedrooms to ensure safe passage after dark.
For home inspections in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, including a thorough and informative home inspection report and inspection warranties, book your inspection conveniently now by calling:
or schedule your home inspection online.