Cooler temperatures often means that DFW homeowners will be using their fireplace again.
One recent home inspection revealed cracks between the bricks in the wood-burning fireplace. Had the homeowner not been aware of this issue – which was found during the home inspection before they bought the house – starting a fire in their fireplace could have resulted in a fire in their home.
We provide basic inspection of fireplaces during our home inspections. We also recommend that homeowners use the service of a licensed chimney sweep to inspect and clean their fireplace annually. This can prevent problems with the build-up of creosote – which is the leading cause of fires from wood-burning fireplaces.
We also recommend you test and replace your smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries twice a year – and most experts suggest doing so when we change into and out of Daylight Savings Time to make it easy to remember.
Also, for your safety, if you have a fire extinguisher (which we recommend), check for product recalls. Even some of the largest names in fire extinquishers can be subject to a recall. You can check the consumer product safety commission website.
Here are some other basic fire safety tips:
- Keep flammable materials away from the fireplace.
- Use a metal screen or glass door to prevent sparks from escaping.
- Regularly clean the chimney to prevent chimney fires.
- Never burn paper, green wood, or anything other than dry seasoned wood.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Install smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher near the fireplace.
- Have your chimney inspected annually by a professional.
- Never use gasoline, lighter fluid, or any flammable liquid to start a fire.
- Teach children about fire safety and supervise them when near a fireplace.
For home inspections in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, including a thorough and informative home inspection report and inspection warranties, book your inspection conveniently now by calling:
or schedule your home inspection online.